UPDATE Man charged with Sunbury murder captured in Philadelphia denied bail | News

SUNBURY — Accused murderer Ajani Munsh-Ousha Uhuru is being jailed without bond after the 23-year-old was captured in Philadelphia by the US Marshal Service on Monday afternoon.

Uhuru, of Sunbury, had been on the run since May 19 after police said he entered the Penn Jersey Food Mart on 4th Street, had an argument with Kareem Jakes, 30, of Sunbury, and had shot him dead. before fleeing the area.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force arrested Uhuru around 2:30 p.m. in the 5400 block of Wissahickon Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, according to Robert Clark, task force supervisor for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia Deputy Marshals have received reports that Uhuru may be hiding with an associate, 22-year-old Daimeer Clark, in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. Clark was wanted on a firearms warrant issued May 18 by the Williamsport Office Police Department, Clark said.

“Marshals discovered an apartment associated with Clark in the 5400 block of Wissahickon Avenue and upon entering the apartment, Clark surrendered to investigators without incident,” the task force supervisor said. “Uhuru barricaded himself in a bedroom for an hour before the marshals negotiated his surrender.

During the arrest, two firearms were recovered. Uhuru and Clark were then flown back to Northumberland and Lycoming counties by officers from the task force, the statement said.

Uhuru was taken into custody on Monday less than two hours after his father, Ajani Munsh-Uche Uhuru, 54, of Center Street, was arraigned by Sunbury District Judge Mike Toomey on three counts of charge of obstruction. Officers said he attempted to conceal a vehicle his son was driving after the shooting.

Young Uhuru arrived at the office of Sunbury District Judge Mike Toomey at approximately 6:45 p.m. and was led into court by Sunbury Police Chief Brad Hare, Arresting Officer Travis Bremigen and Corporal . Brad Slack.

Other members of the Sunbury Police Department surrounded the Northumberland County Administration Building on Stadium Drive, where Toomey’s office is located, with loaded weapons to secure the area in the event of an incident, according to Hare.

Toomey spoke to young Uhuru but Uhuru only nodded yes or no to the questions as tears fell from his eyes.

Uhuru did not speak to reporters outside the courtroom.

Bremigen said he reviewed CCTV footage from the store that shows young Uhuru going to a cooler when he and Jakes strike up a conversation, police say.

Young Uhuru is then seen standing in line when Jakes approached and assumed a “fighting stance”, according to Bremigen in the criminal complaint. Bremigen said Jakes then struck young Uhuru with his fist, and young Uhuru then pulled out a handgun, pointed it at Jakes, and fired several shots, according to the criminal complaint.

Young Uhuru then left the scene in a blue BMW, which was later picked up on Reagan Street near the former UPMC Sunbury Community Hospital.

When police stopped the vehicle after it was spotted, officers discovered the elder Uhuru was driving, police said.

The older Uhuru was sent to Northumberland County Jail in lieu of $200,000 while Toomey denied the younger Uhuru bail for homicide.

“If you commit a crime in Sunbury, you will be caught,” Sunbury Mayor Josh Brosious said at a press conference at the police station on Monday night. “I give my full support to the police to do the job and with the help of other agencies everyone has done a great job and we are all grateful for that.”

Hare, Brosious, Bremigen and Northumberland County Assistant District Attorney Sarah Egan all attended the press conference on Monday night.

Hare said the investigation is ongoing.

Young Uhuru will then appear before Toomey for a preliminary arraignment at 9am on May 31.

Previous Maiden Let's Chow Foodie Conference this weekend
Next Location Discovery Can Help Patent Holders Keep Their Lawsuits in WDTX